I am Rachel Lajoie
Hello, I’m Rachel Lajoie, a speaker and holistic health coach. In case you were wondering, my last name literally means ‘the joy’ in French. My mission is to help women take charge of their health, but before I could do that I had to learn how to heal myself.
In college I was one of those girls who seemed to have it all. I had almost perfect grades in two majors, I was an all-conference runner for NCAA on the women’s varsity cross country team, I was running up to 60 miles a week, and, thanks to my team, I had 40 amazing girlfriend since day one in college. All of this outside validation, however, was masking a HUGE issue. When I moved to Canada for graduate school I failed my first course, nobody cared how fast I ran, and I missed the community that comes from being on a team. My whole identity was shattered! I felt like a huge hole had opened up inside me. I quickly realized this hole had been there all along, the product of a very difficult and stressful childhood. The result was depression, binge eating, a constant struggle with my weight. I felt like a fraud, because on the outside I was a runner, ate healthy food (when people were looking!), never gained a lot of weight at one time, and at one point I was even underweight. But inside I was struggling and only barely hanging on.
At this time I started dating a French-Canadian with the last name ‘Lajoie’. I wanted him to fill this void inside me, so it was a big awakening when he literally yelled at me, “Rachel, I can’t love you more than I already do! You have to love yourself first. My love is secondary!” That moment was the beginning of my journey to learn how to let go of the past and love myself. As I started to take better care of myself, something amazing happened! My eating disorder and struggle with food went away. The constant conversation in my mind about food, what I could have, or shouldn’t have, or what I planned to eat once I got home, was gone. In it’s place was happiness and self-acceptance. And the more I learned about nutrition, the easier it became to maintain my weight to where I didn’t even have to think about it anymore.
Seven years after the beginning of my struggle I married the love of my life and became Rachel Lajoie. I’m in love with myself and with my life. It is my mission to help women who are facing the same struggle that I was to get through the pain, and have the tools they need to move into a life of joy! Your transformation does not have to take years. I’m here to provide the lessons I learned to get you on the fast track to success.
- Member of International Association for Health Coaches, 2016-present
- Workshop Presenter for Johns Hopkins University Work, Life, and Engagement, 2015-present
- Member of National Association of Women Business Owners, 2015-present
- Organizer for the Health and Well-being Lunch at the Space Telescope Science Institute, 2015
- National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC), International Consortium for Health & Wellness Coaching, 2017
- Certified Quantum CoachSM, Quantum Coaching MethodTM, 2017
- Certified International Health Coach, International Association for Health Coaches, 2016
- Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, Institute for Integrative Nutrition, 2015
- NCAA varsity athlete, University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire, 2002-2007